Thursday, July 1, 2010

Alice In Wonderland



FINALLY saw it. I actually had no real interest in seeing this film. I don't usually like Tim Burton films (with the exception of Beetlejuice and Big Fish). I've also never read the book, seen the Disney film, or know anything about any of the characters/plot/history of Alice in Wonderland.

But obviously this film was quite popular and my friend just brought it over so YEAH I watched it. Firstly I just want to say I think it's really annoying how no wonder what role Johnny Depp has in a movie he always has to be the main focus of the advertisements. Like I know that it sells films and stuff but I just feel bad for Mia Wasikowska, who was very good in this and just got tossed aside in the ads even though she IS Alice. I love that Alan Rickman and Helena Bonham Carter are in this because any time a Harry Potter cast member is there, I'm excited.

So the film. I thought it was okay? I think sometimes it was hard to understand the story since I actually had no idea what Alice In Wonderland was about. I hate when the characters talk to fast and then just start laughing and I'm like "UH WHAT JUST HAPPENED?" I don't really know if I can review this properly since I was kinda lost a lot of the time. Although the story kinda reminded me of an evil(er) Chronicles of Narnia on crack.

As for cinematography and all that fancy stuff, I was not thrown off by anything. There weren't any shots where I was like WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? The whole mixture of animation and live action was pretty nice. When she first fell down the rabbit hole I was a little skeptical of it because everything looked so fake, but throughout the whole film everything was pretty realistic. It must have been an interesting film to shoot, especially with all the height changes, which was pretty cool.

So yeah, I'm not sure how to judge this so just see it and decide for yourself. Actually you've probably already seen it, I think I'm the last one.

No comments:

Post a Comment